Friday, January 14, 2011

1000 Cranes


Alison Helfrich completed the following project for her 8th Grade Language Arts project. Bev Rhoades is her teacher. Alison's hard work and passion for this assignment was impressive. Great work Alison!!! The following is a summary of her project:
Sadako Sasaki was two years old when the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. Ten years later she was diagnosed with leukemia ( atomic bomb disease) and only had a year to live. Sadako's best friend told her of the Japanese legend that if you fold 1,000 paper cranes you get a wish granted. Sadako then began folding 1,000 cranes of her own so she could get her wish to live. Unfortunately, she only made it to 644 before she died. Her friends finished the paper cranes and buried them with her.
When our Language Arts teacher told us we had to do a project on World War 2, I decided to use my own cranes for my project. I had actually started last summer for the fun of it, and then decided to incorporate my 1,000 cranes into my project. It took me 50 hours total to make all 1,000 paper cranes, but it was definately worth it.
Special thanks to Alison and Mrs. Rhoades for their hard work and efforts.